Sunday, March 29, 2020

Happy International Mermaid Day!

It's International Mermaid Day! And to celebrate, here is part of the opening scene from Siren Song. 

“No, I didn’t lead him here!” Anahita shouted as she struggled against Darya and Kai and the rope binding her hands. 
Nerida held back her cry as she watched the two tie Anahita up to the shipwrecked hull next to the struggling human man. They were secluded from the moonlight in their secret cove. The waves gently swept the black sand in and out. The ocean was calm on this sad, dark night. 
“You claim to love him,” Loire said as she tightened the ropes on Anahita’s wrists. “He’s human. You know the rules.” 
“But I do love him,” Anahita said as she leaned forward against the ropes. “He won’t tell him anyone about us. He loves me.”  
“He doesn’t love you,” Darya said as she crossed her arms. “We watched him tell another human about the secret waters of the mermaids.” 
“He wouldn’t do that!” Anahita shouted as tears streamed down her cheeks. 
“You’re crying for him?” Kai asked as she shook her head. “Our tears are precious.” 
“Ask him,” Bayou said as she swam over to Anahita. “Ask him if he spilled our secret. It’s not just you involved. It’s all of us. Ask him if he’s worthy of your tears.” 
Nerida watched as Anahita looked at the human man tied up next to her. She saw the tears still streaming down Anahita’s cheeks. They glowed in the moonlight against her skin. A mermaid’s tears could heal anything as long as that mermaid loved you. 
“Please tell them you didn’t say anything,” Anahita begged. “Tell them they’re wrong.” 
Nerida watched the human shake his head as he looked at Anahita. Her heart broke for Anahita. The human wasn’t worthy of Anahita’s love. 
“Anahita, I’m a collector. I owe a large debt and you and your sisters are worth gold. Enough to pay off my debt,” he said. “I knew you were not what you seemed, so I seduced you for information. You’ve been very forthcoming. I thought I would have to wait much longer for your secret. You almost made it too easy for me. I could’ve had all your secrets the first night we met. You were desperate.” 
“No,” Anahita cried as she shook her head. “I love you!” 
“I know, which worked in my favor,” he said as he tugged on the ropes and looked at the others. “I demand you release me. My men will be here at dawn to collect all of you. I’ll finally be free of my debt and can marry the woman who’s been waiting for me. She’s been patient these two weeks while I gathered all the information I needed.” 
“You love someone else?” Anahita asked. 
“Of course, I do. Why would I love a fish? You’re a creature who needs to be destroyed or at least in a tank to be on display,” his said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment