Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Little Known Facts

My favorite thing to post after I publish a book is the little known things that happened in the background. Since Diamond Dirt has been out a week, it's time to share those moments. 

*This was the longest I've even taken to write a book. I started it before writing Life in the Moments in 2017! I finally got back into in December and threw my outline away. Once I the road map I thought would work was gone, the story flowed. 

*This is one of the few books where the 'jock' is the girl and the tutor is the guy. Shelby is not a dumb jock though because her major is chemistry with her best subjects as Organic and Inorganic Chemistry. 

*This is the first book that I cut several scenes before sending it to the editor. They were fine, but pulled the story down. 

*I took a lot of inspiration from my time in college and all the years I played softball. One of the girls is even an agriculture major with animal science classes. 

*Shelby is the first character I've ever told was left-handed. I normally let the reader imagine it. 

*Shelby is a combination of some of my favorite pitchers. 

*I never got to pick a walk-out song when I played, so this was my time to go wild. If I was playing now, it would be the one I chose for Shelby, Made for This by Carrollton. 

*I didn't say what university they attend on purpose. It didn't matter for the story. One of the school colors is red, but not crimson. It is set in the southeast. 

*For those who don't know, there is a College World Series for Softball. It has become one of the most watched sports in recent years. They've added more and more games to the schedules for live viewing. I remember when you could only watch the World Series, but now you can watch regular games almost any day of the week. 

*The World Series is played at ASA Hall of Fame Stadium in Oklahoma City. 

*There is a selection show where the top 64 teams are displayed for regionals. The top 16 teams host regionals. The top 8 (if they win their regional) host Super Regionals. The 8 teams left head to OKC to play the World Series. 

*I do have my next book finished. I'm reading over it before sending it to the editor. The prologue is available at the end of Diamond Dirt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment