Saturday, February 29, 2020

Leap Day!

It's Leap Day! Here is a small scene from Siren Song, my new story.
*Unedited*
"Where ye disappearing?" Teague asked.
"Just meeting someone," Destan said.
"Ye met a woman," Teague said. "Ain't no man disappear as much as ye have to be alone. Is she a beauty?"
Destan sighed as he looked at his first mate. Teague noticed too much sometimes.
"Yes, I met a woman, but she's different."
"Ain't no woman different," Teague said. "Except for the she-demons mermaids."
Destan laughed as he leaned against the railing.
"No, she's different. She's the one the village calls the Red Maiden," Destan said.
"You're seeing a ghost? Boy, I didn't take you for stupid. You don't mess with ghosts. They can attach to ye soul and haunt you," Teague said as he shook his head.
"She's not a ghost," Destan said. "You can't touch a ghost."
"You've touched her? Oh lord, son, you need to see a priest," Teague said. "Before we set sail."
"Teague, she's not a ghost. I don't need to see a priest. I didn't take you for superstitious."
"I'm not except for ghosts. I'm from the bayou, we take our spirits seriously," Teague said. "Ghosts like to cling to humans."
"She doesn't cling to me. In fact, she doesn't touch me and pulls away from my touch," Destan said. "It's weird."
"Son, leave her alone," Teague said. "You don't want no woman tying you to shore. You're a man of the sea."

No comments:

Post a Comment