Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Last Day of September

To celebrate the last day of September, here is a small scene from Mermaid Voice. 

"Tell Momma Maureen I want Nanner Puddin," Grim said as he closed the lid and sat down. 
"You've lived in California for thirty-two years. It's not called Nanner Puddin." 
"My grandma just rolled over in her grave," Grim said as he brought his hand up to his chest. "She'll haunt this place for the rest of your days." 
Caspian laughed. 
"Your mother doesn't even call it Nanner Puddin." 
"That's because it's my dad's mother," Grim said as he dropped his hand. "She didn't approve of my mother." 
"I know I'll regret asking, but why didn't she approve of your mother? Ellen's one of the kindest women I know," Caspian said. 
"For starters, my momma married my grandma's baby." 
"And that's enough for disapproval?" 
He hadn't heard this story. But then again, Grim's Kentucky family wasn't the classiest people. 
"For Granny Hawthrone, yes," Grim said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment